To Saturday 20 October 2018
We are pleased to announce the 3rd Edition of ESPEN workshop: Good Pharmaceutical Practices for Parenteral Nutrition Compounding. The course will be held 19-20th October 2018 at the Pharmacy Compounding Unit, Stanley Dudrick Hospital, Skawina and Cracow, Poland.
PN is a complex prescription preparation used in a wide variety of clinical conditions for patients across the age spectrum. Due to the requirement of numerous calculations, risk of incompatibility, and the necessity to adjust the doses for individual needs of patients with respect of current guidelines, they are more liable to errors at each stage of the PN preparation process.
Therefore, the pharmacists who are involved in the provision of PN to patients in all settings must maintain appropriate nutritional skills and stay up to date with the latest guidelines, technology and knowledge in nutrition support. Sharing ideas, practical experiences and knowledge between speakers and participants and “hands on” workshops are the most important element of the Course.
This course is tailored for pharmacists especially involved in Parenteral Nutrition compounding. It will cover the following topics:
- Patient PN requirements, components of PN formulas, compatibility of medications with parenteral nutrition,
- Review and verification of parenteral nutrition orders (common types of PN prescribing errors, improvements in the PN Order Review and Verification Process),
- Parenteral nutrition labelling (adults, pediatrics, neonates),
- Parenteral nutrition compounding (common types of PN incompatibility issues, the roles of GMP in the PN safety, strategies used to avoid PN errors with automated compounding devices),
- Parenteral nutrition distribution (proper packaging, handling and storage instructions, transportation from the compounding facility to the other facilities or directly to the patients’ homes).
The hands-on part will take place in the hospital pharmacy’s compounding unit, one of the biggest
in Poland, which makes PN bags for in- and outpatients throughout the country.
We encourage you to register for the course and look forward to welcoming you in Skawina!
To apply, please send a CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Magdalena Pietka)